Thursday, September 20, 2012

All Smiles at St Giles,story of my life from different lenses...

A memo on my day at St Giles Medical Rehabilitation Centre in Harare
“God puts us on certain positions of influence for a reason, and whatever He assigns us to do He equips us with adequate power and wisdom to execute it. With so much that I have achieved, there is so much I can learn each day. To my family, friends and workmates..Um just Ruvimbo, a daughter, a friend an acquaintance but to them I am more than the aforementioned.…”
What started as a noble visit to St Giles Medical Rehabilitation Centre in Harare turned to be such a valuable experience I wouldn’t trade for anything. When I left home today to spend my day at St Giles, I wasn’t aware of the great hospitality that was waiting ahead of me. I arrived there around 10.30am during the hour long interlude that the children have every Thursday between 10.30am and 11.30am where the children interact and do various enriching activities. Upon my arrival, I immediately joined the staff and amazing children in their break room where we broke into songs, a bit of dancing, mixing and just to get to know each other. (And for the record, even in my not so good voice I was made to sing infront of everyone..thanks to Mr Ticha Muzavazi for the prank, um not so bad after all).
What touched my heart the most is how much talent and passion these children have. They can sing, play instruments such as the mbira, hosho and ngoma; and they play them with so much perfection despite the fact that some of them are visually impaired, have challenges in perfect speech or hearing. What I witnessed today is that, talent has no boundaries and no limitation can stop you from realizing your goal so long as you have the passion. The children are also amazing composers, they performed some of the songs they composed and I was left speechless.
From this visit, I realized that we don’t need millions of dollars to make a difference. I went there today just as Ruvimbo, with no huge donations to give but I went there with an open and warm heart full of love…and in return, I received the love back in million folds. It made me realize that it’s not the material things that count but our time, love, dedication and passion can go a long way in brightening someone’s day. It was brought to my attention that the school, is also in need of things like stationary, toys, snacks for the children, carpets, curtains to mention but just a few. So my plea to the cooperate world and individuals like you and me is to join hands and be a movement that will go out of the ordinary to make sure we bring a smile on these children. If I made a difference as an individual by just a mere visit, what more could you and me achieve if we join hands as a team?
When I left St Giles School by the end of the day, I was already brainstorming things I can do using my current position of influence to effect the kind of change I aspire to see. As an individual who is good at sports like swimming, tennis, track and also very good at drawing and sewing and also a Chemist; I pledge to make use of my God given talents by volunteering every Thursday of my time in Zimbabwe, sharing my area of expertise with the children and passing my knowledge for the greater good.
But my question to you is…What is it that you can do? If you truly think you can come through and join me on this project that I have officially adopted, feel free to get in touch with me and we can exchange Ideas on how we can best move forward for the greater good. It will not be easy but it will be done with utmost perfection. How do you play your part in making a difference in building a nation that you are proud of?
Get up today, play your part by inspiring new ways. Start with small projects and keep on building step by step bearing in mind that every step does take us closer and closer to the future. Inspire new ways that will help build a better future that we are all proud of. My challenge to you is leave a sound legacy for generations to come.
The goal is all about leaving this world a better place than we left it. A better you, A better Me, A better Zimbabwe..Together we can do it, let’s start action now. Trust me; every little bit does count like a drop of water in an ocean.
With that I say, stay in peace and love…spread the word and share with the world! Be Inspired!
Story by, Ruvimbo Violet Katiyo Holds B.A Chemistry from Berea College,KY USA; Current Miss Zimbabwe 2nd Princess; Miss Zimbabwe-USA 2nd Princess 2011; Plan International Ambassador; E.P.G Fellow More pictures below...

1 comment: